- 2 red peppers, cored and cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 2 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch cubes
- about a 1/2 package of slice mushrooms, diced
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne pasta
- 3 cups marinara sauce (that's about 1.5 jars of store bought...again, my fav. is Barilla Arribiata)
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup grated smoked mozzarella (I used regular shredded mozz)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed (that's one 8 oz. bag)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/3 cup for topping (I went semi-homemade here and used 4C shredded parm in the jar...cares)
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
On a baking sheet, toss the peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, and onions with olive oil, salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook for about 6 minutes. It will still be kind of hard. It's fine. It's gonna cook more in the oven.
In a large bowl, toss the drained pasta with the roasted vegetables, marinara sauce, cheeses, peas, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix, until all the pasta is coated with the sauce and the ingredients are combined.
this is pre-baked. SO. MUCH. PASTA.
Pour the pasta into a greased 9 by 13-inch pan. Top with the remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan. Bake until top is golden and cheese melts, about 25 minutes.