Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Recipe: Buffalo Chicken Wontons & Greek Coleslaw

This post is extra-special because it's not only appearing here, but HERE! at The Three Bite Rule.  I went to college with Emily, the creator of The Three Bite Rule, and I highly suggest you check out her blog for fun recipes and foodie adventures!  Emily so kindly asked me to guest-blog and I couldn't resist using the opportunity to try a new recipe.


I'm trying (key word) to lose a few lb's before my July wedding, and in doing so, I'm naturally craving the worst foods on the planet.  This recipe is surprisingly low-fat (5 wonton wrappers is only 100 calories, and the chicken is boiled in plain 'ol water and then baked, so no extra fat there...plus wait til you see the coleslaw!) but still tastes like an indulgence.  The wontons would make a great app (oh hey, Superbowl) and the coleslaw is a healthy side made with my favorite Greek yogurt (you can't even tell it's good for you!).  Hope you enjoy these and much as I do...and thanks again to Emily for the opportunity to cross over to another awesome blog!


BUFFALO CHICKEN WONTONS
(this recipe makes a TON of wontons.  You can either cut down the amount of chicken you use or if you don't want to make all of the wontons, you can make as many as you want, freeze the remaining wonton wrappers, and have a buffalo chicken sandwich for lunch the next day with the remaining chicken!  Probably awesome on a salad, too.)


1 package Nasoya wonton wrappers
2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 bottle Frank's Red Hot (I used Buffalo flavor but i'm sure the Original is just as tasty)
1/4 c. Light Ranch dressing
1 egg white OR water


Boil chicken in water (or chicken broth) for 15 or so minutes until cooked through.  Remove from water and set in a bowl.  Once cool, shred with a fork and season lightly with salt and pepper.  Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees.




Here's the shredded chicken with the buffalo sauce...this was perfect on a sandwich the next day (said my fiance) and scooped up with celery stalks (said me).

Mix Red Hot and Ranch dressing in a bowl and pour over pulled chicken, mixing to coat.  Arrange wonton wrappers on a sprayed cooking sheet.  Place about 1/2 a teaspoon of chicken into the center of each wrapper.  Using the egg wash or water, lightly brush two sides of the wrapper and bring up into a triangle to meet the other half of the wonton, pinching to secure.  Bake for 10-12 minutes until crispy, flipping once.




I sprayed the pan with olive oil cooking spray, so there was no need for a brush of oil or anything prior to baking.

pre-baked...


EDITOR'S NOTE: If you want a cheesier, creamier, not as healthy wonton, try adding a bit of cream cheese to the chicken mixture.




gorgeous color on the wontons!


GREEK COLESLAW
(this recipe is adapted from Ellie Krieger's recipe found here.  Of course I didn't measure anything TOO accurately, and I left out the caraway seeds.)


1 package Dole shredded coleslaw mix
1/2 c. plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani 0%)
1 tbsp. honey
1/4 c. mayonnaise (I used Hellmans Olive Oil mayo)
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
salt & pepper


Combine all ingredients and add to coleslaw mix.  Stir to coat.  Season with salt & pepper.  Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to let "sauce" absorb into coleslaw.




oh heeeey, awesomely healthy wontons and sweet scrumptious coleslaw...don't mind if I do...

No comments: