Monday, November 7, 2011

Recipe: Hungry Girl Shepherd's Pie

So I'm trying to eat a little better BEFORE the holidays completely throw me off-guard, so the first person I turned to for dinner tonight was Hungry Girl.  I. LOVE. HUNGRY. GIRL.  Her recipes are all SUPER low fat, incredibly easy, and really tasty.  I pretty much used her Squash-tastic Shepherd's Pie Recipe to a T, but here's what you need to make your own:

1 lb. ground turkey
1 can fat-free gravy
1 bag frozen mixed veggies
3.5 cups butternut squash, cubed
minced garlic
chopped white onions
1 tbsp. butter
garlic and onion powder
s&p

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a large microwave-safe bowl, cook squash (covered) with 1/2 c. water for 12-15 in the microwave.  Meanwhile, brown turkey meat with onions, garlic/onion powder, and minced garlic.  Drain fat and set aside.  When squash is finished cooking, mash w/ butter and salt until smooth.

In a casserole dish, layer the ground turkey, then the gravy, then the frozen veggies, and finally the squash.  Bake for 25 minutes until browned.

the not-so-pretty layers: turkey/gravy

the pretty layer (that was obviously in my freezer a little too long...cares)

fresh out the oven

so hearty & filling...don't feel bad if you want to eat the whole dish

EDITOR'S NOTE:  The squash totally makes this dish.  Next time I might use more than recommended, for a thicker layer.  For more flavor, I added Tabasco sauce to the ground turkey and a little on top for an extra kick.  If I had had any cinnamon or nutmeg, I would have added it to the squash for sure.  I also ate a ridiculous portion of this recipe.  It's basically guilt-free and now I'm not reaching for the Edy's because I'm beyond full!

No comments: